Friday, October 22, 2010

Albany, Mo.


I drove to Albany, Mo. on Tuesday for a story about the town winning the Community of the Year award in the Missouri Community Betterment competition. I had no information until I got there, and soon realized that nearly all of the projects that won them the title were unphotographable--clearing lots of abandoned houses, a recycling program for which the bins are still on order, and improving the wastewater system. So, I photographed the trophy, the Old City Cemetery (cleaning it up was another project) and a volunteer repairing old Community Betterment project reports at the library. When I left the library, I saw this mural and waited for a passerby. It's a simple photo, but I think it captures the small town atmosphere and has a nice sense of place.

No comments: